- Type of Mattresses and Sleep Technologies
At Bedding Plus, your sleep is important to us. We focus on providing our customers with high-quality mattresses and specialized help every time they need to buy new mattresses or sleep accessories. With so many mattresses to choose from, though, we understand it can be a daunting decision. By dividing them up by type as we've done, you can quickly narrow down your options and find the best mattress for your sleep style. Bedding Plus is your Gulf South mattress store that provides all of the most common types of mattresses under one roof. Read on to find your perfect mattress.
Why It's Important to Find the Best Types of Mattresses
Firmness and mattress size are the two most common characteristics people think of, but there's more to consider. From stomach sleepers to side sleepers, everyone has a mattress that is best suited for their body type and sleep style. Different mattress construction styles and materials will impact the feel of the bed, its functionality, and temperature control.
In general, these are the most common types of mattresses with more information on each below. We've listed pros and cons for each type because we know that some mattresses are simply better for certain styles of sleepers than others. If you have more questions, feel free to ask our team at Bedding Plus for more information!
- Innerspring: A traditional innerspring mattress is the most popular type of mattress. Constructed with metal coils, it provides a firm surface for a variety of sleep styles.
- Memory Foam: Find the pressure point relief you need with the cradling comfort of memory foam.
- Hybrid: By combining traditional metal coils with the new technology of memory foam, sleepers can experience balanced support.
- Latex: Embrace the natural softness and breathability of latex mattresses. Enjoy a design that conforms to your body, but still provides bounce.
- Air: Customize your sleep experience with an adjustable mattress. Change the way your mattress feels with the push of a button and find perfect comfort every night.
Widely considered the most popular mattress type, one or more layers of metal coils serve as the primary method of support in an innerspring mattress. The amount of springs, as well as the shape and size have an impact on the quality of your bed's firmness. In general, the more coils, the higher the quality and comfort.
While this type of technology may be more traditional, it has come a long way. Today, you can find a variety of firmness levels based on the types of coils, and the way in which they’re layered. It’s worth noting that innerspring mattresses are usually the most budget-friendly option on the market.
Back, side, and stomach sleepers can all benefit from the right type of innerspring mattress.
- Affordable options at various reasonable price points
- Many options for firmness and bounce, which can help you find the perfect blend for your body
- Tends to be more breathable than competing types of mattresses that can trap heat and become warm throughout the night
- Some innerspring mattresses wear out faster, requiring you to replace them sooner than other types of mattresses
- Lack of ability to adapt to the shape of your spine due to the unchanging nature of spring coils
- Motion can be felt across the mattress if you or your partner toss and turn frequently throughout the night
Memory foam mattresses feature some of the newest sleep technology options on the market. Invented by NASA in 1966, memory foam was first used to improve the safety of aircraft cushions. However, it’s now widely used in multiple layers to create mattresses that provide pressure point relief, body contouring, and incredible support.
While memory foam mattresses have a reputation of running a little warm, there are ways to mitigate this. For example, if you have your heart set on a memory foam mattress, but are concerned about getting too hot at night, gel memory foam is a great alternative. These types of mattresses offer the same body contouring effect with a cooling formula.
Side sleepers and those with painful conditions that require pressure point relief will especially enjoy the softness of memory foam.
- Low motion transfer for those who move around frequently and share a bed with their partner
- Support that conforms to your body, allowing you to feel firmness that is tailored to you
- Available in a range of firmness levels depending on your sleep style
- The softness of memory foam may feel too unsupportive for some sleepers
- Most memory foam models are more expensive than other types of mattresses
If you’re caught between two types of mattresses, a hybrid mattress may be the best of both worlds.
These types of mattresses combine different materials and features to create a customized sleep feel. While some may feature innerspring coils along with memory foam, others may use latex in addition to gel memory foam. When it comes to hybrid mattresses, there are options built for every type of sleeper.
Those who want the benefits of memory foam but dislike the feeling of sinking into a mattress, hybrid mattresses deliver the bounce necessary to deliver more firmness.
- Unique feel that combines the best elements of different types of mattresses
- Faster bounce back to improve motion isolation for active sleepers
- Edge support tends to be better than competing types of mattresses, allowing for a larger usable sleeping surface
- It may take slightly longer to "break in" a hybrid mattress in comparison to other mattress types
- Some hybrids are prone to off-gassing, a term used to describe the smell given off by new mattress foam for a brief period
- Tends to be heavier than innerspring mattresses, making them difficult to turn or flip
Natural latex is harvested from rubber trees, which means there are no harsh chemicals in most latex mattresses. Like memory foam, latex can conform to your body. However, many people like that it can bounce back more quickly. If you’re someone who is constantly moving around at night, a latex mattress may be your best bet. As soon as you lift off the mattress, it bounces back. This means it won’t take long to reshape to your body every time you move. In terms of durability, latex mattresses can also last much longer than other types of mattresses.
The hypoallergenic nature of these types of mattresses is another big draw for many sleepers. In general, latex is resistant to dust mites, mold, and even bed bugs. This makes latex an attractive option for many people.
Active sleepers and those with allergies will love the benefits of latex mattresses.
- Eco-friendly design without the use of harsh chemicals, some are even biodegradable
- Naturally cool for sleepers who tend to feel warm throughout the night
- Extremely durable with the ability to remain in good condition for more than 20 years
- Depending on the type of latex, some sleepers may feel too much pressure around the shoulders and hips
- Latex mattresses can be heavy, making them difficult to flip or rotate when necessary
If you want customized sleep, an adjustable bed may be the answer. Firmness is completely customizable on each side of the bed, so you and your partner can individualize your comfort. Adjustable air-chamber technology also allows for the ultimate sleep experience because you can pinpoint areas that need more or less support. Many of these beds adjust at the touch of a remote or smart phone app.
Depending on the model you choose, you can even opt for split-foam dual adjustability from the waist up. This is ideal for those who like to read, work, or even watch television while lying in bed. With these types of mattresses, you can sit up while your partner is fully reclined.
Individuals prone to back pain or other muscle aches due to sleep issues, as well as couples with different firmness needs.
- Adjustable comfort that can easily be customized for each sleeper
- Can help target sleep-related issues such as snoring, heart burn, or even back pain
- Offers optimal support for every area of your body by adjusting different parts of the mattress
- Requires routine maintenance to keep adjustability mechanisms in working order
- May be difficult for some to use the remote technology or smartphone apps to make adjustments
- Tends to be the most expensive type of mattress on the market
It's time to #sleepbetter
You don’t have to spend another night tossing and turning. With the right mattress, you can #sleepbetter tonight and every night! All you have to do is visit our friendly team at one of our many Bedding Plus locations across southern Louisiana. We aren’t just locally owned and operated, we’re also family owned and operated. Our company will here to serve your family for years to come.
At Bedding Plus mattress stores in Louisiana, you’ll also find a complete line of bedding products including mattresses, box springs, daybeds, pillows, linens, mattress protectors, and bed frames. We offer delivery and set up, as well as 0% interest-free financing for up to 60 months. Even better? We offer a 365-night comfort guarantee on qualifying purchases.
With Bedding Plus, finding a better night's sleep has never been easier. Visit one of our showrooms today to experience our different types of mattresses and sleep technologies.